Jimmy Lai’s National Security Trial
At his ongoing national security trial, Jimmy Lai (黎智英) has continued to deny directly asking for sanctions on Hong Kong after the 2020 National Security Law took effect.
During proceedings last week, he said the arrest of his two sons was “somewhat strange,” given they had not been involved in any political activities.
Faced with a life sentence on two different charges under the same national security law, the 76-year-old has denied trying to influence foreign policy in Hong Kong and defended the idea of “delivering freedom” through pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily.
Lai’s son Sebastien (黎崇恩) has said the trial is “a complete show trial.” His lawyers have said he has been mistreated in custody.
Hong Kong Used to Evade Sanctions
At the end of last month, the U.S. House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party sent a letter to Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen suggesting Hong Kong is being used as a gateway to evade sanctions. “Hong Kong has shifted from a trusted global financial center to a critical player in the deepening authoritarian axis of the People’s Republic of China, Iran, Russia and North Korea,” the letter said. “We must now question whether longstanding U.S. policy towards Hong Kong, particularly towards its financial and banking sector, is appropriate.”
The letter cited research that said 40% of goods moved from Hong Kong to Russia in 2023 were items Russia could use in its war in Ukraine.
Hong Kong 47 Appeals
Twelve of the 45 Hong Kongers sentenced to serve prison time for their parts in organizing an illegal poll to choose candidates in local elections are appealing their sentences. Former radio presenter Tam Tak-chi (譚得志) is the first of those who pled guilty to appeal. His sentence is four years and five months.
The U.N.’s Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights issued a statement saying: “We are gravely concerned by the use of the National Security Law to convict and impose harsh sentences on 45 people in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.”
Grandpa Chan Acquitted
78-year-old Chan Ki-kau (陳基裘) was acquitted of displaying banners without a permit last week. Chan, also known as Grandpa Chan, held up signs about standing firm despite disapproval last September, but it was ruled that Chan’s banner shouldn’t constitute a banner because a banner must have “a degree of permanence and habitual regularity.”
“There is no logical reason why a much wider, all-embracing construction should be adopted,” Magistrate Kestrel Lam (林子衡) ruled.
Ex-Lawmaker Convicted
Last week, ex-lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting (林卓汀) was one of seven people convicted for rioting during 2019’s pro-democracy protests. Lam was one of a group of journalists and protesters attacked by 100 white-shirted men at the time.
Lam said he had tried to help, and was taken to hospital with injuries to his head, mouth, arm and wrist. But District Court Judge Stanley Chan said (陳廣池) he did not believe Lam went to help.
Lam will be sentenced on February 27, with a maximum jail term of seven years. The six other men tried alongside him have also been convicted.
Hong Kongers Believe Media Self-Censoring
A new survey has found 65 percent of respondents believe news outlets in Hong Kong to have self-censored — a record high. The Hong Kong Public Opinion Research Institute released the results last week, having spoken to 669 people. A separate question found 70 percent of respondents believed outlets were hesitant to criticize the Hong Kong government, while 75 percent thought they were hesitant about criticizing Beijing authorities.
Cathay Pacific Apologizes for Family Guy Episode
Hong Kong air liner Cathay Pacific has apologized for showing an episode of TV show Family Guy which referenced the Tiananmen Square crackdown. “We emphasise that the content of the programme does not represent Cathay Pacific’s standpoint, and have immediately arranged to have the programme removed as soon as possible,” a spokesperson told Hong Kong Free Press.








Leave a Reply